Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Profile: Sara Davis, Professional Triathlete and Sambazon Ambassador



"I am a soccer player turned Triathlete, who starts my day off everyday with a Sambazon açaí bowl. I started playing soccer at the age of 5, which earned me an athletic scholarship and an education at the University of Washington and California State University of Northridge. Leading a healthy lifestyle and athletics were always a passion of mine. After college I decided to try my luck at playing professional soccer overseas in Italy, Sweden and Amsterdam. I had some luck, made all three professional teams, but had issues with a working visa.

After losing hope for my professional soccer career, I knew I wanted to have an active lifestyle but was not quite sure where to go. I moved to Hawaii for a couple months and it just happened to be during the preparation of the Kona Ironman. I was enthralled by these athletes; swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles then running a marathon after. I didn’t even know that was possible. I ran into a particular triathlete that maybe changed my life. I wish I could remember his name. Anyway, this man was in his 70’s and competing in this Ironman. He was 9-time champion of his age group. The most in shape 70 year old I have ever seen in my life. I had a great conversation with him and he has inspired me for the rest of my life.

The day I moved home, I looked into buying bikes. I bought a crappy road bike and started training blindly. I signed up for my first race about 6 months later called the LA Tri Series in San Dimas sprint. I won my age group and was 3rd woman overall. I was hooked. I got my first sponsor after that race, Ladera Cyclery, who hooked me up with a better bike and I haven’t looked back since. My first year I was undefeated in my age group, I qualified for National Championships in which I placed 15th. Last year, I competed in my first Half Ironman, Vineman 70.3 and also qualified for World Championships for the sprint distance in Gold Coast, Australia in which I placed 10th in the World, first American.

Going into my 3rd year of Triathlon I expect big things. I am competing in 4 Ironman 70.3’s and hoping to exceed my goals in which I honestly could not do without Sambazon. I am looking forward to a successful season and celebrating another year of living a healthy and active life, enjoying every second of it.

The first time I discovered Sambazon was 6 years ago when I was sick and my friend suggested that I try an açaí bowl at a local bagel shop. I was amazed by the antioxidants and the great taste of the purple berry. I felt better the next day and kept going back for more. I ended up googling Sambazon and ordering packets to make my own smoothies. Sambazon açaí has been my breakfast of choice since I tried it 6 years ago; they give me the energy I need to keep me going through my daily training sessions. To make my açaí bowls I used Almond milk, one pack of the original Sambazon açaí, a handful of blueberries or fresh mango and one banana blended up, topped with honey and vanilla almond granola.

Best Breakfast Ever!"


-written by Sara Davis, Professional Triathlete and Sambazon Ambassador

No comments: