Thursday, April 23, 2009

Notre Dame student hasn't missed a day of açaí

Hey Team Sambazon,

Here's my story on the creation of my morning açaí bowls:

For over the past year, I have yet to still miss a day of eating an açaí bowl. Born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, my genuine passion for Sambazon has grown into what my friends at home and college call it Guz's "lifestyle". Growing up on Oahu, you can find me bodyboarding at my local spots (Makapu'u, Sandy's, Waimea, and Pipeline), as well as trying to find every juice bar on the island with açaí bowls (Diamond Head Cove, Jewel or Juice, Lanikai Juice, Kava Roots...), even the stand on the side of the road near Sunset Beach.

I'm currently a senior at the University of Notre Dame, where I've been making bowls every day since last August. I've converted my desk into a crazy juice bar (there's nothing but ingredients and bowls, & thanks for the Sambazon stickers in February), sharing the happiness of açaí with friends. On average, I make three to four bowls a day for people who come to my room (free of charge), trying to spread the word around, and every Saturday morning sees about 10-15 close friends coming with their own fruits for me to custom make their açaí bowls. Making the açaí bowls is filled with laughter, fun, and memorable experiences. Before ordering it online through your website, I would bring boxes of ingredients(Acai packs, Hemp Granola/Seeds, Bee Pollen, Agave Nectar....) from either Hawaii, LA, SF, or Chicago, since there's not much organic options in South Bend, Indiana. It's a cool feeling to bring something new to the Midwest. Through trial and error, and sampling the best bowls in Hawaii, I've come up with a personal favorite in providing energy. Whether it's before doing my daily yoga in my dorm room, hitting the beaches back home in Hawaii, or working in investment banking (da killer 100+hour work weeks) in Los Angeles after graduation, I know this bowl will always make me happy. Thank you Team Sambazon, I believe in your company, it's mission, and the life it brings to everyone.

-Christian


-------------------

Da Surfer Bowl:



















Blend: blend until thick
2 Smoothie Packs - Original Acai
8 oz. Vita Coco 100% Coconut Water

Hand Mix: stir the berries whole into the blended acai while in the blender
1/2 cup of Blueberries (frozen)
1/2 cup of Blackberries (frozen)
1/4 cup of Goji berries (usually dried)

Layering the Bowl: place on bottom for crunchy goodness and surprise
1/2 cup of Nature's Path Hemp Granola
-then pour the acai mix from blender

Topping the Bowl: fresh cut fruits and other amazing stuff
1 banana
1 pineapple
1 strawberry
1 tbsp. Manitoba's Shelled Hemp Seeds
1 oz. Madhava Raw Agave Nectar
1 tbsp. of Bee Pollen

1 comment:

¡Fräulein! said...

this is GREAT!!! love the dorm room set-up. if only i was so hip back then. way to go and the bowl looks super tasty.